Search This Blog

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Ancestry.com Hints For

After I had worked at family history research for 30 years I had a large database.  It started out slow, about 200 ancestors the first decade, 2000 the next decade, and 20,000 the third decade. Then computers came along and really helped out keeping track of people in a database. By the fourth decade, I had reached 200,000 members.

But when the database was 50,000 individuals, I started a project to add the 500 members of the US Mormon Battalion. That took 5 years and I ended up with 60 brick wall projects on Battalion members that I couldn't connect to other lines in the database. Since then, people have contacted me and helped out in various ways so that the 60 has been reduced to 43 now. 

Those Mormon Battalion members that still need work are here:
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=ldshistorical&id=I145661

The Lost Members of the US Mormon Battalion

When I looked at those 43 lost Mormon Battalion members, I clicked on Silas G. HOVEY. I had written:

This member of the Battalion is pretty much lost and forgotten. He is not mentioned in Sgt Daniel Tyler's "A Concise History of the Mormon Battalion". Larson in "A Database of the Mormon Battalion" says, "Silas Hovey was a Musician in Company D. He played a minor role in that position. The payroll records indicate he completed the journey to California and was discharged in Los Angeles, July 16, 1847."




But now, Ancestry.com who is the backer of Rootweb.com has started putting these LEAF links, called Ancestry Hints for Silas G. HOVEY, that are possible matches for records about the individual.

Clicking the leaf gets this:
Volume: 84
Page Number: 394
Reference: Genealogy of Benj. Cleveland of Canterbury, Ct. By Horace Gillette Cleveland. Chicago, 1879. (260p.): 15, 124
Source Information:
Godfrey Memorial Library, comp.. American Genealogical-Biographical Index (AGBI) [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 1999.
Original data: Godfrey Memorial Library. American Genealogical-Biographical Index. Middletown, CT, USA: Godfrey Memorial Library.

Now I need to go look for this. I get side tracked a lot. But it also makes for a good article for my genealogy blog. If interested, go see my blog here:
http://verns-familyhistorynews.blogspot.com/

http://verns-familyhistorynews.blogspot.com/


I found USMB Silas Hovey married to Polly Bosworth ANNIS, and her pedigree connects to the Kimball line, making her a relative of Heber Chase Kimball:


I only had to add two generations to get Polly Bosworth Annis connected to a huge tree of ancestors:
Ancestral tree for Polly Annis:
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=PED&db=ldshistorical&id=I351038


From the 1850 census we can add a daughter:


1850 Census Place: Albany, Orleans, Vermont;
Roll: M432_925; Page: 61A; Image: 393
   Household Members: Name Age
Abul Raymon 67 VT
Silas Havey 49 VT
Polly Havey 49 VT
Laureate Havey  9 f VT (indexed: Sunreatt)
Hiram Chafey 51



That is certainly some good progress. That is what makes life fun for me.

1 comment:

  1. Silas G. Hovey has been removed from my unrelated list and now stands with his own pedigree. Another success, and 42 still to go. See it here:
    http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=ldshistorical&id=I180906

    ReplyDelete